In 2019, CECOMP developed the ARMEISTERBOCK R&D project, aimed at defining an augmented reality platform for training and support of operators on a dima or control gauge (Meisterbock).
The project enabled the following objectives to be pursued:
- The learning of procedures and tools used for the inspection of components;
- The improvement of operations by practising and memorising the tooling sequence;
- The reduction of the probability of error during the process.
CECOMP took advantage of the company’s in-house know-how specifically on the use of Meisterbocks (control equipment) in the automotive field to create this virtual device. It is possible to receive instructions in real time for positioning and fixing the part on the control gauge, and measuring dimensional tolerances, guaranteeing speed and safety of the activities by means of a virtual animation to be followed by the operator.
The research study that was conducted for the development of the project included a preliminary elaboration of the CAD mathematics of the gauge and the part chosen to test the functionality of the device (front floor of the X80 car) by CECOMP technicians, from which the external consultant ILLOGIC was able to develop the platform software.
At the end of the project phase, the use of the virtual platform enabled the following objectives to be achieved:
- The introduction of a control-check activity simultaneously with the work cycle, with a view to future industrialisation;
- The automatically processing of control sheets, avoiding the subsequent quality control phases;
- The verification by the operators of the absence of specific components of the part positioned on the gauge in real time, using the comparison with virtual reality.
Overall, the development of the device made it possible to reduce the time invested in learning by the operator in the testing department as a guided path was created, reducing the cycle waste time.
The “ARMEISTERBOCK” project is realised thanks to the co-financing of the ROP ERDF Piemonte 2014-2020
AXIS I Action I.1b.1.2 – Innovation Poles Line B
Pole: Smart Products and Manufacturing