In 2015 Cecomp was commissioned to develop a prototype of a new concept vehicle suitable for goods and passenger transport service, category N1, to be built according to technical specifications drawn up by the CNR ITAE, with a new style that could not be traced back to that of standard commercial vehicles.
The technical specifications of the vehicle were set in advance to characterise its dimensions and performance in order to realise a vehicle particularly suitable for the distribution of goods and people with zero emissions.
The main innovative technical features of the project include:
- A modular base frame made from specific aluminium extrusions reinforced with high-strength steel parts in order to keep weight as low as possible while guaranteeing the general performance expected for the vehicle as a whole.
- Advanced and elevated driver’s position which, combined with the large glass surfaces, allows high visibility in all manoeuvring conditions.
- Front axle prepared to accommodate both a transverse combustion engine and an electric axle in addition to the one on the rear axle. Possibility of installing an additional three separate battery packs to modulate energy requirements for different missions.
- The rear suspension is of the bi-link type and ensures a high level of grip even when driving over rough terrain.
- The steering chain required a non-standard solution due to the forward position of the cockpit and of the driver.
An element of particular importance for urban use is the footprint of the area occupied by the vehicle in relation to the load area (platform): the company’s design objective through benchmarking analysis was to maximise the payload ratio in a vehicle of intermediate dimensions between existing vehicles on the market while maintaining a high payload.
In addition to meeting the defined requirements, the platform developed was designed in a highly modular form, allowing hybrid propulsion solutions (bimodal transport solutions) and four-wheel drive (use in hilly or mountainous areas) to be adopted.